Header Ads

Yum

Pie Dough Scraps


Just a few ideas of what I do with pie dough scraps, the leftover dough when baking a pie.
I remember as a little girl when my Mom was baking pies she would give me some of the scraps of dough to shape into whatever I wanted..oh the possibilities! By the time I was done though, the dough would be tough and rather gray looking! Good thing Mom had already been sprinkling the rest of the dough scraps with a sugar cinnamon mixture and it was baking in the oven. Oh how I loved those..like a little appetizer before the pie was ready.
What do you do with leftover pie dough scraps?

Left hand photo:
-I made a few strawberry jam pockets with icing drizzled on top.
-Then for 'pie cookies' I gathered another batch of dough scraps, rolled out, brushed on butter and sprinkled generously with a sugar/cinnamon mixture. I folded the dough over, rolled it out again, and repeated with butter and sugar/cinnamon mixture. Repeat once again and cut into circles. When baked you have little cookies with flakey layers.
- I also cut out rectangle shapes with just a sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon and some plain rectangle and round shapes like crackers to enjoy with soup or chili.
I baked these in a 350º oven..'pie cookies' and jam pockets for 20 to 25 minutes and the plain rectangle and round shapes for 15 minutes or until golden.
Top right photo:
-Mini quiches..roll out dough and cut out circles, press into mini muffin pan.

 For the filling I started off with a main base of:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cream..you can use milk
  • 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • dash of cayenne
  1. Whisk together until combined.
  2. Now add whatever you like or have on hand. I added bits of chopped green and red pepper, threw in some leftover cooked corn and chicken, little red tomatoes and grated cheddar cheese. Just make sure your mixture is still somewhat runny.
  3. Fill muffin pans with the egg mixture, don't overfill. Any leftover mixture can be used for an  omelette for breakfast the next day.
  4. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until golden in color and the egg mixture has puffed up.
  5. Sprinkle with chopped herbs of your choice.
Bottom right photo:
-I call this an upside down banana cream pie! Just layer your pudding and whipped cream in a dessert bowl and stick in a few of the baked pie dough scraps on top.